Saturday, November 30, 2013

Macaroni schotel is actually macaroni casserole or baked macaroni dish. The name schotel is borrowing Dutch name because this dish is introducted by Dutch people during the colonisation era. The first time I taste this food is when I was still about 5 years old. I still remember I went to my aunt's house with my parents. Lucky me she just finished baking it and she gave me a slice of it. That was my first time i ate macaroni schotel and I love it!! Since then I always want to eat it especially when I went to her house. When I grew up and started to learn how to cook, I tried to find the recipe. Too bad my mom didn't have oven so the only macaroni schotel I could made was steamed one. It was good but didn't satisfied me. For me, baked one is still the best. Steamed macaroni schotel doesn't have crispy melted cheese like baked one. I tried to toast the schotel  using oven toaster after steam it, and it didn't work either.


Now, I have my own kitchen complete with an oven. Making macaroni schotel is not impossible anymore. Besides, actually it is not that hard to make. Last week I made it for dinner and everyone like it. I added some green peas during the process just because I had some leftover green peas in my refrigerator.


Like as usual, vegetable salad and sweet chilli sauce are perfect for its companion. Eet smakelijk! ^^



Ingredients :
  • 250 elbow macaroni, boiled until al dente (look at the cooking direction on the package), and drain well
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 150 grams bacon strips
  • 70 grams ground pork or beef 
  • 3 tbs canned corned beef
  • 50 grams green peas (optional)
  • 4 beaten eggs
  • 4 tbs flour
  • 600 ml milk
  • 2 - 2 1/2 cups (about 150 grams) grated cheese 
  • 2 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • salt and black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tbs white granulated sugar
  • 3 tbs vegetable oil
Tip : If you do not eat pork, you can always use another kind of smoked meat such as smoked beef tongue, or smoked chicken. They will work as well.

Tip : For the cheese, you can use cheddar or parmezan cheese or mixture of old and young cheese like I did.

Preparation :
  1. Preheat oven for 180 C (356 F)
  2. Preheat vegetable oil in a pan
  3. Saute the bacon for about 5 minutes or until they become golden brown and crisp. 
  4. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.
  5. In the same pan, put minced onion and ground beef or pork. Stir and saute them together until the onion become translucent and the ground meat become brown.
  6. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
  7. In a big bowl, mix together boiled macaroni, flour, corned beef, green peas, sauteed bacon, onion, and ground meat. 
  8. Add beaten eggs, milk, ground nutmeg, sugar, and 1 cup of grated cheese. Mix them well.
  9. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
  10. Pour the macaroni mixture into an ovenproof dish.
  11. Cover the top with grated cheese.
  12. Put it into preheated oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes.
Tip : Cover the leftover with aluminium foil or place it in the airtight plastic container before store it in the refrigerator otherwise the edges will become dry and tough. You can always reheat it again with microwave or put it back into preheated oven 150 C for 15-20 minutes. 

Tagged: , ,

3 comments :

  1. This is a great recipe and a must try. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I made it. My kids liked it.Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I made it. My kids liked it.Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete