Thursday, August 8, 2013

I just realize that I have many tangerines on my refrigerator. They have been hiding quietly on the corner of my refrigerator for (maybe) a week. I almost forget about them until yesterday. So, i decided, today is the time to do my 2nd summer vacation project with my daughter. Orange muffins!


But, consider this is as a failed project. My daughter is more interested watching Barbie as the island princess on TV instead of baking muffin with me in the kitchen. She only wants to help with placing muffins paper in the muffins tin. That's all.

Well... I already prepared all the ingredients. So i have to continue this small project.

Ingredients :
  • 2 tangerines, peel the skin, remove the seeds and thin skin of every segments.
  • 100-110 ml orange juice 
  • orange zest from 1 big orange
  • 225 grams (1+3/4 cups) All purpose flour
  • 150 grams (3/4 cup) white granulated sugar 
  • 1 egg
  • 113 grams (1/2 cup) room temperature butter 
  • 1 tbs milk
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
Tip :  We can use 1 (about 425 grams net) medium canned tangerines instead of 2 fresh tangerines. Drain the canned tangerines and use them. Leave the syrup for another purpose. 

Tip : From 1 big orange, we should be able to get at least 100 ml orange juice. We will need about 100-110 ml orange juice. If we can't get at least 100 ml orange juice, we can use 2 oranges to get the juice.

Preparation :
  1. Preheat oven 180 C (356 F). 
  2. Prepare and line a muffin tin with muffin papers. Set it aside
  3. In a bowl, mix well all dry ingredients.
  4. In another large bowl, mix butter and eggs until soft.
  5. Add orange juice, peeled tangerines, orange zest, and milk. Mix them well.
  6. Add all dry ingredients into mixed wet ingredients. Mixed them well.
  7. Divide the batter into a prepared muffin tin. (about 1.5 tsp for small muffin tin and 4 tsp for a normal size muffin tin)
  8. Put them into preheated oven and bake them for about 20 min
I made 2 version of muffins using 2 different type of flour. All purpose and whole wheat flour. We can see the difference of their color.  Muffins that were made from all purpose flour have lighter color than muffins with whole wheat flour.  But both of them taste great. Slightly different, but still great. 


I made mini orange muffins as well because i want to pack them and bring them outside. There is a small park with small playground nearby. So this afternoon, I will bring my children to go there, let them play for a while and eat this mini muffins after that. Sounds good, isn't it? :)


Tagged: , ,

0 comments :

Post a Comment