Thursday, August 29, 2013

Today I really want to bake something easy for my kids snack. Hmm... I still have some puff pastry in my fridge and a can of sausage on my kitchen storage. I think sausage rolls is a good idea. It is easy and simple to make. I have all the ingredients as well. It is a snack or can be an appetizers based on sausage. In Netherlands, it is famous as sauzijzenbroodje. It is usually made from spiced ground beef and wrapped with puff pastry. In America, it is popular as pig in a blanket. Pig in a blanket is usually made using hot dog and puff pastry.

Well, actually what i will make today is using a recipe of pig in a blanket. But I don't really like the name. I don't know why. I think it sounds funny. I prefer to name it sausage roll. And I will make it in small size. One bite size. 

Ingredients (for making 20 sausage rolls) :
  • Ready to use puff pastry. I'm using 5 layer of 20x20 ready to use puff pastry.
  • 3-4 tbs honey mustard
  • 1 can cocktail sausages
  • 1 egg, beaten.
  • grated cheese
Tip : I'm using honey mustard because i don't really like the strong taste of the normal mustard. If you do not have mustard or do not like it at all, you can always use tomato sauce instead of mustard. 

Preparation :
  1. Heat the oven for 200 C (about 390F).
  2. Line a baking sheet with a baking paper, set aside.
  3. Cut puff pastry into small square (about 10x10 cm).
  4. Put about 1/4 tsp honey mustard in the middle of each square.
  5. Put 1 cocktail sausage on the top of the mustard diagonally.
  6. Using pastry brush, wash the edge of each pastry square with beaten egg.
  7. Roll the sausage with the puff pastry. 

  8. Put the sausage rolls in the baking sheet.
  9. Brush the top of the sausage roll with the remaining egg wash.
  10. Add some grated cheese on the top of it.
  11. Put the baking sheet into preheated oven and bake for about 20 min until golden brown.
This mini sausage rolls is perfect for party as well. I made this dish for my daughter's birthday party few months ago, and she and her friends loved them. 

Tagged: , ,

0 comments :

Post a Comment