Thursday, August 1, 2013

Extra Hot!! It's 31 degree Celsius outside. I really want to make something cold today. I found this frozen young coconut juice on Asian grocery store. I couldn't say no. I bought one pack, and some other canned fruit. I'm going to make es campur. What is it?

Es Campur is one of the most popular Indonesian cold beverage. Es means Ice, and campur means mixed. Mixed? Yes. We call it mixed because this beverages contained of many mixed fruit with coconut syrup, sweet condensed milk, and shaved ice block. We can use any kind of fruit, such as young coconut, papaya, longan, avocado, watermelon, jackfruit, etc. There's no exact rule how to make this beverage. Some people will add cut jelly or agar, cendol (green rice jelly), black cincau (grass jelly), tapioca pearl, fermented cassava, and many other things.

Ingredients :

  • 1 pack Frozen young coconut 
  • 1 can longan
  • 1 can papaya
  • 1 can palm fruit
  • pineapple
  • frozen mango
  • Any kind of other fruit/jelly that you have in hand. (I didn't have any jelly available, so i skiped it)
  • coconut syrup
  • Sweet condense milk
  • Ice block, crushed 
  • Cold water
Preparation :
  1. In a large bowl, mix all the fruits. Do not discard coconut water from frozen young coconut juice. Mix it together with the fruits
  2. In a small glass or bowl, pour about 3 tbs coconut syrup
  3. Add some mixed fruit, water, and crushed ice block into the glass
  4. Add some sweet condensed milk on the top of crushed ice.
  5. Ready to serve. 
Well..... It should be like this. Or at least this is what i usually eat in restaurant back than in my hometown.

It looks delicious, doesn't it? Too bad i couldn't replicate it at my home. Instead, mine was turned out like this.
I didn't have coconut syrup. So i was using raspberry syrup. It was not bad, but coconut would be better. The syrup was too light. No jelly either. I didn't have ice shaver, so i put my ice block in plastic bag and crushed it. Not as good as shaved ice, but good enough to make this cold beverage. Well, it's not that bad. It has all requirement for es campur. Sweet, cold, and refreshing. :)

Tagged: , , ,

0 comments :

Post a Comment